Brief History Overview
How it all Began
- Started in 1998 and based in Saratoga Springs, NY, Sarasoda, Inc. is a privately held corporation owned by the Davis family.
- PJ and Carolyn Davis grew up in Tonawanda, NY drinking loganberry!
- PJ and Carolyn moved to Saratoga to become school teachers and opened PJ’s Bar-B-Q, serving Loganberry!
- Their daughter, Jady, has spear-headed product development and sales expansion since 2000.
- ABARTA Beverage Group, the 8th largest Coca-Cola Bottling Franchise, had confidence in the brand since it began distributing their products in 2001 and
has been actively involved in
supporting the marketing efforts throughout the Northeast since 2007.
Welcome to Crystal Beach…a refreshing state of mind inspired by the legendary amusement park once nestled on the shores of Lake Erie above the roar of the mighty Niagara Falls. Original Loganberry, created by the Davis family, PJ, Carolyn, Johnny and Jady was inspired by another local favorite. Derived from the loganberry, a unique cross between ripe and tasty blackberries and raspberries, this secret recipe was once only sold at PJ’s famous barbecue restaurant in Saratoga Springs, NY. Crystal Beach Original and Diet Loganberry are now available in bottles for all to enjoy.
Owners PJ and Carolyn grew up drinking the flavor that became one of their favorite childhood pastimes. They graduated from high school, got married, went to college, and became school teachers. The couple then moved to Saratoga Springs, New York, and 23 years ago opened their restaurant, PJ’s Bar-B-Q, recognized as one of the top 8 barbecue restaurants in the United States by CITY MAGAZINE, a national publication.
Being from Buffalo, the Davis’ wanted to sell popular Buffalo items in their restaurant, such as Buffalo Wings, Kummelweck Sandwiches, Sahlen’s Hot Dogs, and Loganberry! Loganberry became so popular that it was outselling the major leading cola brands also offered at the restaurant. During the winter customers were asking where they could purchase Loganberry while the popular summer restaurant was closed. The Davis’ were then inspired to create PJ’s Crystal Beach Loganberry, a flavor now popular in all of NY State and expanding into new markets nationwide!
Our Story: 1998 - Today
- Established in 1998 at PJ’s BAR-B-Q in Saratoga Springs, Sarasoda, Inc., has continued to flourish as the Davis family’s independently owned Beverage Company. Loganberry, a non-carbonated fruit drink that is a cross between ripe and tasty blackberries and red raspberries has been the flagship flavor of the Crystal Beach brand and was inspired by the legendary amusement park once nestled on the shores of Lake Erie above the roar of the mighty Niagara Falls.
- In 2007, Sarasoda, Inc. formed an alliance with ABARTA Beverage Group, owners and operators of four Coca - Cola Bottling Companies located in Cleveland, OH, Buffalo, NY, Lehigh Valley, PA and Coatesville, PA. These four franchises have annual combined sales of 16 million cases, making ABARTA the country’s eighth largest bottler of Coca-Cola. In addition to this new alliance, Jady Davis, PJ and Carolyn’s daughter accepted a position as V.P. of Brand Management within the ABARTA Beverage group heading up a new division, GTG Beverages, at the corporate headquarters in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Together with GTG Beverages, Sarasoda, Inc. is in the process of developing “Whippers”, an all natural, “smoothie type” beverage with the same nutritional value (vitamin and mineral content) that’s equivalent to a glass of whole milk and a glass of 100% juice at the same time. Whippers is scheduled to launch mid-summer, 2009. It is fortified as an excellent source beverage under the USDA guidelines for “nutritionally equivalent milk alternatives.” This innovative, one of a kind product was created as a healthy alternative for kids in school and health conscious individuals looking for a smoothie alternative beverage. Whippers will be shelf stable, have less than 66 calories and 10 grams of sugar per 8 oz serving. The proprietary flavors that are in development are: Blueberry Acai, Dragon Fruit Goji Berry, Orange Creamsicle and Strawberry Vanilla. Whippers will be available for purchase at our valuable retail partner locations as well as online on-line at www.thirstmonger.com.
- Sarasoda, Inc. continues to sponsor the Phoenix Scholarship award, a program that was initiated by Sarasoda, Inc. in 2000. The scholarship is presented annually to deserving high school seniors who meet specified criteria. Like the mythical Phoenix who, after being destroyed and consumed by fire, rose from the ashes reborn to fly again, these individuals have demonstrated the ability to rebound from adversity and personal hardship, rebuild their lives, exhibit success in the academic arena and have been accepted to an institution of higher learning. Sarasoda, Inc. takes great pleasure in recognizing these exceptional individuals and their inspirational stories.